Sunday, December 13, 2009

I can't keep up how life is moving so fast

Study Abroad: Vietnam! was a complete trip. From drinking all day everyday/ studying about Vietnam's impoverished street children/ teaching English to elementary Viet kids/practicing my Vietnamese @ the dance clubs/ winning the Hanoi City Basketball Champion for HANU University/ Undie Run in VN 08/ Winning the "Class Flirt" Award/ Straight A's/ Rid'n a motorbike everywhere I went/ Attending the HANUniveristy graduation and see my families in Hue and Vung Tau - theses experiences will stay with me and they have changed my outlook on the important things in life - family, friends, people, love and experience. The material and monetary benefits of living in America have been insignificant and are simply masks to true happiness. That's why I had to get back into this blog action!!

Traveling the World: Thailand; Bangkok, Koh Samui/ Cambodia; Siem Reap, Phnom penh/ Vietnam: Hanoi, Sapa, Hai Long, Quy Nhon, Hoi An, Hue, Da Lat, Nha Trang, Da Nang, Can Tho, Saigon HCMC, Vung Tau/ Singapore/ Malaysia; Kuala Lumpur/Hong Kong; Hong Kong. Backpacking through the world, seeing unbelievable sites with friends and by myself was incredible. Clubbn in Hong Kong, Running along Koh Samui beaches, Swimming Vung Tau seas, Trekking Angkor Wat Temples, Shopping Bangkok markets, Site seeing KL icons. This was the best month and half of my life!!

Last Semester at UC Berkeley: The morning after I got back to America - I had a 9AM public policy class to go to and did the culture shock hit. I still felt like I was traveling the world. I couldn't help think about that things I experienced traveling and if I'd ever go through stuff like that again. The day I left for airport, I really suggested staying in Vietnam for another semester. But you know what, I had one semester left and the Check Spellingday I got back, Obama took the oath as US President. It was a sign that it was right to be back. However, I seriously forgot how to live life in America but leaving the way I did in Southeast Asia made me realized I don't need to live life the same. Before, I was completely invested in academics and community work but once in my life - I was going to live for myself. I did hella new shit: Live in Casa Jouaquin/ Danced for VSA Sriracha Hip-hop, Writing for "AFRO course: Poetry for the people", taking my first Spanish Class, campaigning for my girl Tracy Nguyen to be campus senator, tandum-SKYDIVING!!, coordinated after school tutoring program for the kids of UCB Janitorial staff at CASA, REACH! basketball, house parties, frat parties, clubs Oh my and ever searching for a JOB after college. Lastly, finding the closest person to the perfect partner. Someone I knew could share my life with me.

Leaving on a High Note: After performing a infamous "Vietnamese Mothers" poem with Anna and John Viet at Southeast Asian Graduation! Receiving the department "Community Service" Award at the Social Welfare Graduation! Voted as "Heart and Pride" of VSA! Noted as most likely to be "Youth Organizer and TV celebrity" at Casa J! known as the guy that put Urban in UCB circle K! First Cheer Training! Recognized for best "Man-boobs" and "most likely to be lost" with Sriracha Dance company! Invited as the keynote speaker for De Anza Senior Awards Night! Traveling Washington DC with boo-dizzle Anna! Chosen as inspirational speaker for SASC-SI 09! Scholarship receipient & Speaker for APALA Labor Alliance Conference in Vegas. Making a bomb ass bootleg yearbook with notes from all the incredible people that I've met at Berkeley. Life was at a high and I could finally say it was time to move on.

No comments: