Friday, December 18, 2009

Mission: Sacramento

after my studying abroad in Vietnam, traveling southeast asia, graduating from berkeley, exploring Washington --> I was back home...Sacramento. I was dreaming fellowshipp'n in DC, grassroot organizing in the bay, NGO work in Vietnam/Thailand but it all came into perspective my mom's said she really wanted me to be back at home to help with the family. I was on a complete high with all the things I've been experiencing, it was time to come back to earth.


Back to SAC! and ready to make my Social Justice Attack!


I thought Sac was going to be totally different from the young eyes I had before college. To my surprise --> it wasn't. Same old issues, same old politics, same old functions. The only thing that was same that was I was looking for we're my HS friends and my moms. My little sista gots a BF and they seem to be getting serious --> way too serious for my likely or for my mom's but...she's my sista. After becoming so progressive and liberal at Berkeley, I come home to find that my brother religiously watches Fox News, wanted to vote for McCain, and doesn't believe in the social welfare system --> it's funny cause WE LIVED ON THAT SHIT! as we grew up. But he's my brother. If anything, he we have some interesting conversations which is a first, ever in our lives.


At first, my mama was trying to do the, why you back so late and I was like "I is a Man, mama!! You can't tell me what to do! --> then slap me up on the head and then I realized that this is home, not Berkeley.....







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you planning to travel again some time soon? or stay in sac for a long time?

shirleyydee said...

i didn't know you had a blogspot!

Christina Liang said...

that's like my brother and me dude. he's not quite republican, but he does think there's only one way to live life--graduate with a "normal" degree (i.e. engineering, medical, law), get a job, get married, buy a house, have kids, the end. he hates that i live the life of an artist and will probably never be fiscally secure. but you're right, it does make it interesting.

i'm not from sac, but i can see that it's like being stuck in a timeloop where not much changes haha.